Friday, 26 March 2010

Thing 20: ThinkFree

Unlike Google Docs, I had not previously used ThinkFree. I decided to give it a test-run by uploading some existing documents from my computer, knowing that this often caused the most issues formatting wise. I found that uploading an existing file was a lot more long-winded than with Google Docs (which has a variety of available methods - from simply e-mailing the files to a set address, or a couple of button clicks to upload then view). This wasn't the main issue however - as other 23 Things participants have mentioned, the site itself is very slow (or so it seemed to me, and especially in comparison with Google). This seemed a shame as - once the application itself had finally loaded, and I laboured through attempting to type - ThinkFree's layout seems to be a lot more user-friendly. It seemed a lot more similar to desktop-based Office programs - and the typing space itself allowed a print layout, which I found to be a lot less boxy.
I will certainly consider ThinkFree the next time I want to edit a document online, and would definitely like to explore it further - however, the initial load-up lag was a rather large initial deterrent.

No comments:

Post a Comment