For this Thing, I signed up for Linked In. Having a "professional" social network certainly seems like a good idea to me - though within a week I had popped up in one of my friends "useful connections" notices, despite using my work e-mail, not filling out my profile, and him working in computer science - I'm intrigued by what algorithm they're using! Unlike other social networking sites, simply matching people to a user's address book possibly isn't going to be that useful either.
As Fiona has already said, I had trouble finding specific employers - the possibility for people to add their own (as opposed to more structured workplace networks requiring e-mail verification, such as those used by Facebook) possibly added to this confusion through unnecessary duplication, as well as the huge number of departments within Oxford.
As Fiona has already said, I had trouble finding specific employers - the possibility for people to add their own (as opposed to more structured workplace networks requiring e-mail verification, such as those used by Facebook) possibly added to this confusion through unnecessary duplication, as well as the huge number of departments within Oxford.
I'm certainly keen to explore Linked In further - however, I'm not sure the extent to which it can compare with good old fashioned face-to-face networking. I think, as other trainees have already mentioned, that it may be a more useful tool when someone has more extensive experience in a particular area, and as such already has some contacts in a field - then the network is already partially in place in order to suggest further contacts to you.
No comments:
Post a Comment