Thursday, 21 January 2010

Thing One - Set Up Your Google ID

Thing One – Set Up Your Google ID

I’ve been using Google products for quite a while - I have had a Gmail account for many years now, and this led on to using Google Docs and Calendar. I have also more recently begun using Google Reader as opposed to my usual desktop-based feed reader. I find the convenience of having everything I need in one place, available wherever I am, to be very useful (both personally and professionally) – and the ability to synchronise, for example, my desktop calendar and mobile phone contacts with my Google account has only increased this. I have also found Google to provide a very reliable user interface, which after years of freeware e-mail is a wonderful thing! Perhaps the one aspect of Google I hadn’t really used before was iGoogle – though I had previously experimented a little with the themes and gadgets, I always returned to my old favourite of a random Wikipedia page as my homepage – I enjoy the surprise, and it’s educational! Though I like the idea of having everything on one page, available and ready as and when I need it, I am perhaps rather stuck in my ways and prefer to be able to simply open as many tabs as needed in my browser – each separate and with full functionality (something which can be lost through various third-party gadgets). With both Chrome and Safari now offering a “Top Sites” feature on start-up – where you are provided with small previews of the sites you most frequently visit, all accessible with one click – I was perhaps even more reluctant to switch to something as seemingly limited as iGoogle.

No comments:

Post a Comment